JOB DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN’S MINISTRY
Position: Director of Children’s Ministry
Job Description: Responsible for the development and oversight of ministry to children in 6th grade and under, in accordance with the mission, vision, and goals of the church. Currently, our Children's Ministry serves approx. 35-40 children. Position reports directly to the Lead Pastor.
Time Commitment: 20-30 hours/wk. Core programs take place on Friday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Compensation: Dependent Upon Experience
Qualifications: Experience in children's ministry, teaching, and/or management. Superior people skills, godly character, team spirit, organized, motivated. Seminary
training an asset, but not required.
SUMMARY OF CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Focused Work in Children’s Ministry. The Director of Children’s Ministry will develop and direct a comprehensive evangelism and discipleship programs for children in 6th grade and under. Specifically, the Director will:
a. Develop programs, goals, and objectives that serve the spiritual needs of children and their families in accordance with the church’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
b. Provide visionary leadership for our Sunday morning children's programs, i.e. Children’s Church and Sunday School and Friday Family Night children’s programs.
c. Cultivate deep spiritual relationships with families of elementary age children both within the church and our surrounding neighborhoods.
d. Design and oversee at least one major outreach event per quarter for young children and their families; i.e. Harvest Festival, Vacation Bible School, etc.
e. Develop a climate for children that is safe, supportive, and cultivates spiritual growth.
f. Serve as curriculum advisor to the pastoral staff in regards to selecting effective discipleship materials for children.
g. Build bridges with families and students of Monterey Park Christian School and help them integrate into the community and ministry of Trinity Church.
h. Develop outreach to local elementary schools by personally cultivating relationships with administration, staff, and students.
i. Address specific personal and spiritual needs of children as they arise through one-on-one or small group meetings, pastoral visits, or other connections appropriate to the circumstances.
2. Staff Supervision and Development
a. Recruit, equip, motivate, and oversee a committed team of children's ministry workers who can love and lead our children effectively one-on-one and in small groups.
b. Perform screening of potential children’s workers, assist in conducting performance evaluations, and provide ongoing informal performance feedback.
c. Attend workshops and conferences to stay informed on new and effective ways to implement children’s ministry and share such knowledge with others in the church.
a. Attend all required staff and ministry team meetings.
b. Develop and implement an annual calendar of age-appropriate activities and programs.
c. Develop and manage the annual budget for Children’s Ministries.
d. Ensure timely, effective communication of all Children’s Ministry activities with staff, parents, volunteers, and children, including mailings, phone calls or email; database input; program and event scheduling; basic media design, such as fliers, banners, handouts and website content; and guest follow-up. Coordinate setup for children's programs/events.
e. Develop relationships with schools, churches, and parachurch organizations that support our efforts to reach children in the church and the community.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Mature Christian character.
2. College-level education. Seminary experience an asset.
3. At least 3 years of experience in children’s ministry, teaching, and/or management.
4. Demonstrated ability to disciple children towards a deeper relationship with Christ.
5. Effective communication and teaching ability, both oral and written.
6. Ability to recruit, motivate, manage, and lead teams of volunteers.
7. Ability to administer multiple ministry programs simultaneously.
8. Competency in working in culturally diverse settings.
9. Able to relate well to parents of young children and encourage them to serve.
10. Strong conflict resolution skills. Able to be gracious, calm, and flexible under pressure.
1. Must be willing to commit to Trinity Church’s statement of faith, values, practices, and philosophy of ministry.
2. If married, candidate's spouse must fully support his or her involvement in the program.
3. Candidates must provide positive and unconditional written recommendation from each of the following people: 1) a pastor or spiritual leader, 2) an employer, present or past, and 3) a friend or family member other than a spouse. (Please see the application packet for copies of the recommendation forms to be completed.)
Salary: $14,000 - $24,000
Date Modified: 2/11/2013
Job Category: Children's Pastor
Job Status: Part-Time
Worship Style: Blended