--PASTOR of BCAY, a church on Yale University's campus--
The Black Church at Yale University (BCAY) invites applications for candidates interested in the position of Pastor, which will be available in Spring 2013. The pastor of BCAY will serve as the spiritual head of the Church. The pastor will work in conjunction with the Core Student Leadership Team to ensure that the vision of BCAY, “love God, love People, serve the nations,” is fulfilled in a manner pleasing to God.
BCAY is a dynamic, energetic, and youthful church body that is composed mostly of college and graduate students. We simply love to worship God, and we hold His Word in the highest regard. More information about BCAY can be found on our website: www.bcay.org.
The transition from current to future pastor will take place over the course of the Spring Semester, and will be complete no later than May 2013.
--REQUIREMENTS and DESIRED QUALITIES--
• Master of Divinity degree (obtained or in-progress) or equivalent experience
• Ordination or licensure by an established ecclesial body preferred
• Experience in pastoral ministry or chaplaincy preferred
• Engaging preaching style with sermons rooted solidly in Scripture
• High regard for musical worship; experience leading worship is a plus
• Love of young people
• Ability to stay more than two years strongly preferred
The position of Pastor is a non-salaried, independent contractor position. Though it is not a full-time position, we are looking for someone who will be fully committed to our students. The actual time commitment varies with the spiritual season of the church and with the academic calendar at Yale.
A small honorarium of $650 will be awarded monthly throughout the academic year, while school is in session. The honorarium is reviewed yearly.
The Pastor of the Black Church at Yale is responsible for a variety of duties, including, but not limited to the following:
• Attending all church services and weekly core leadership meetings
• Ensuring sermon preparation/delivery, pastoral prayer, baptism, communion, and all other pastoral functions relating to Sunday service are fulfilled;
• Participating in BCAY events, including Bible study, retreats, community service, and other church endeavors;
• Counseling and/or making himself/herself available to members of the congregation during non-service hours;
• Meeting with the Lead Coordinator on a consistent basis and maintaining sufficient communication with the Core Leadership Team and the congregation.
• Facilitating Core Leadership transition during the summer months
All decisions affecting the direction, the vision, and the mission of BCAY are made in collaboration with the Core Student Leadership Team
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis through February 28, 2013.
Please complete an online application form, available at:
Prospective applicants who would like to attend service before or after submitting an application are welcome to do so, though it is not required by any means.
We will contact applicants who are selected for an interview to arrange a convenient meeting time.
You are more than welcome to contact the current Lead Coordinator, Carmen Thunem (email@example.com) or the current Pastor, Dexter B. Upshaw, Jr. (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions at any time.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to receiving your application!
Date Modified: 1/31/2013
Job Category: College/Gen X Pastor
Job Status: Part-Time
Worship Style: Contemporary (Praise and Worship)