Grace Church, an evangelical congregation of around 900 in central Illinois, is now accepting resumes through March 15, 2012 from interested and qualified applicants for the position of Senior Pastor.
Our current Senior Pastor has announced his retirement after 20 years in this position. The Senior Pastor Search Committee of Grace Church is prayerfully asking God to reveal His choice through our search process.
Grace Church is seeking a Bible preaching spiritual leader to equip us for the mission we share and who desires to care for this flock with vision and passion. For more information please see the attached job description and Statement of Faith. The mission of Grace Church is to glorify God and make disciples for Jesus Christ. Our recently established vision is to be a loving community that invites our neighbors to join us in becoming devoted followers of Jesus who impact the world for Him.
Founded in 1958, Grace Church is part of the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches. In 2005, Grace Church moved into a new facility in Morton to provide additional facilities and to accommodate growth. Please see our website www.gracemorton.org for more details.
The Senior Pastor is responsible for three primary duties which include:
• preaching God’s word,
• leading the church’s vision and mission, lay leadership and pastoral staff and,
• caring for the congregation in partnership with lay leadership and pastoral staff.
He should perform these responsibilities in such a manner as to bring glory to God and fulfill the church’s mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ.
1. Grounded in God’s Word
2. Faithful to family
3. Called by the membership of Grace Church
4. Accountable to the Church Council and Deacons
5. Mentor and coach the Pastoral staff
Responsibilities (or “what” needs to be done)
Responsibilities focus on three primary areas which can be split in general as ~40% preaching, ~40% leadership and ~20% pastoral care. These percentages serve as guides and are not meant to be absolute.
1. Serve as primary preacher for Sunday morning through faithful Biblical preaching which exposits God’s word and provides relevant life application. Expository preaching is preferred but topical preaching expounding God’s word is also acceptable. Grace Church believes it is important to utilize preaching style where the Word of God is read and exposed to the assembled worshipers. May also include occasional substitute teaching in Sunday school.
2. Provide leadership in developing and executing the Vision and Mission. Leadership includes but is not limited to the following:
a. Organize strategy meeting(s) with the pastoral staff and key lay leaders which focuses on monitoring the progress of the Vision and Mission and continuously improving as the Lord leads. Develop the agenda with the Council chairman, and co-facilitate the sessions as appropriate.
b. Coach and mentor the pastoral staff to develop their gifts, and challenge them to grow spiritually and professionally to become more effective in their ministries and areas of service. Help set annual goals with pastoral staff, review progress towards their annual goals and provide constructive feedback on a quarterly basis.
c. Maintain a “team” approach to Grace Church ministries through meeting at least weekly with the pastoral team to discuss tactical and strategic issues facing the church. Includes developing close relationships with the pastoral staff and families and support staff and families.
d. Work in conjunction with the Church Council chairman for all meetings of the Church Council and congregational meetings. Prepare agenda with chairman and attend these meetings, and carry out the decisions in conjunction with the staff as co-laborers in the Lord.
e. Work in conjunction with the Deacon Board chairman for all meetings of the Deacon Board. Prepare agenda with chairman and attend these meetings, and carry out decisions in conjunction with the staff as co-laborers in the Lord.
f. Maintain the balanced ministries of Grace Church by having the proper emphasis on worship, nurture, Christian education, Christian service, and outreach through missions and evangelism.
g. Give input to the annual church calendar; assist with special services in partnership with the Church Council, Deacon Board or any appropriate organizations and committees.
h. Participate in development of the annual church budget in conjunction with the administrative pastor and church treasurer to carry out the ministry plan of the church.
i. Maintain relationship with para-church organizations locally and nationally, other Morton churches and community leadership as appropriate.
j. Promote and participate in the work of the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches denomination, the FEC convention, and related activities.
3. Partner in the pastoral care of the congregation and committed to shepherding families in the congregation. Pastoral care is primarily handled through other pastoral staff and lay leadership but is important for Senior Pastor to still maintain a personal connection with the congregation. Examples include:
a. Leading baptisms and weddings
b. Visits of the elderly, ill and families at the death of a member and funerals.
c. Counseling and advice on an individual or family level on a limited basis.
d. Maintain contact with former Grace families and college students through the “Monday Morning Special” and other communications. (method of communication may change)
e. Regularly contribute articles for the “GEMS” newsletter.
Foundational competencies are those characteristics that must be present before a person would even be considered for the Senior Pastor position (e.g. husband of one wife, agrees with FEC Articles of Faith).
1. Maintain a close relationship with God through regular Bible study, meditation, and prayer. Provide evidence of this relationship by an obvious walk with the Lord in all aspects of life.
2. Must be a 1 Timothy 3.1-7 man.
3. Must possess a willingness to follow the example of Jesus, who . . . did not come to be served, but to serve (Matt. 20.28).
4. Possesses the Gifts of Preaching and Leadership.
Education – Seminary Degree
1. Some time working in a secular position is instructive but not prerequisite.
2. Prefer 5-10 years experience in a church of 200 or more and in a position that would prepare him for leadership of a multiple person staff and a congregation the size of Grace Church.
Differentiating competencies (“how” the job is performed)
1. Passion – displays a high level of engagement and enthusiasm for helping make disciples through fulfilling the primary job responsibilities of the Senior Pastor role. The expression of passion should not be flamboyant but is compatible with humility (1 Timothy 4:15b-16).
2. Humility – performs job responsibilities in a kind, amiable manner that is not harsh or stern (1 Tim. 3:3, Phil. 4:5, 2:5-8).
3. Empathy – has a heart for the people and truly cares for those who are in need of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Approachable and friendly (Titus 1:8-9).
4. Leader – able to influence, motivate and unite others to achieve the Vision and Mission of Grace Church. Includes fostering unity of the Body of Christ (1 Peter 5:2-3)
Statement of Faith
• We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
• We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
• We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
• We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
• We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
• We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
• We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Date Modified: 12/8/2011
Job Category: Senior Pastor
Job Status: Full-Time
Worship Style: Blended