Serve the youth of Providence Presbyterian Church and The Grove United Methodist Church in creating an environment for the youth and their friends to develop and grow as disciples of Christ by building relationships with youth and by planning/ implementing weekly activities, as described below, as well as by engaging in various activities at each church. These churches share one building and have merged aspects of their youth programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Facilitate and lead both a Wednesday night Discipleship group (Bible studies) and a Sunday night Youth group (worship, prayer, games, and a lesson).
2. Build relationships with our youth and their families by doing off-campus contact work, such as going to games, concerts, visiting schools, and building relationships with the friends of our youth.
3. Work with the Joint Church Youth Team on program planning.
4. Plan and create new outreach-style events—fun stuff that will get more kids into the ministry, service and mission events; take advantage of Presbytery (PCUSA) and Conference (UMC) youth events as appropriate and engage with other youth groups.
5. Plan and coordinate trips (working with Joint Church Youth Team to plan summer trips, occasional retreats, and other mission/service projects). We expect the youth to participate in at least one summer trip and one fall and spring weekend retreat.
6. Publicize youth activities and events regularly in the churches’ newsletters.
7. Complete all administrative requirements (such as timecards and expense reports) in a timely manner.
8. Integrate youth into the worship service of each church.
To the Joint Church Youth Team and both pastors working as a team; to the Session of Providence Presbyterian Church and the Board of The Grove United Methodist Church.
1. Be an active and growing follower of Jesus.
2. Desire a continual pursuit of biblical knowledge.
3. Have a love for and ability to teach youth.
4. Have an engaging, magnetic, and dynamic personality.
5. Be teachable and flexible.
6. Be at least 21 years of age or older.
7. Exhibit excellent communication skills with the youth, their parents, the pastors, and the Session (Providence)/the Board (The Grove).
8. Exhibit excellent organizational skills.
9. Follow through on all commitments.
10. Keep a weekly log of youth hours and activities for regular review.
Pass multiple background checks; attend child protection training (paid for by church); abide by standards of ethical conduct; adhere to the churches’ policy on sexual misconduct.
Evaluation and performance reviews conducted annually by both pastors and the Administration Teams of both churches.
This is a part-time, hourly position, and responsibilities are roughly divided up as follows. All stated hours include preparation and execution. Times in parentheses are the actual meeting times.
- Wednesday night Discipleship group: 4 hours (5:15 – 7:00 pm)
- Sunday night Youth group: 4 hours (5:00 – 6:30 pm)
- Attendance at and participation in both church services on Sunday morning: 3 hours (9:15 and 11:00 am starting times)
- Weekly administrative duties (weekly and special event planning): 3 hours
- Occasional weekend responsibilities (fundraisers, Saturday projects/events, etc.): 3 hours
- Off-campus contact work (should include at least one youth from each church per week): 3 hours
Total 20 hours (c. $15 per hour, $300 a week, $15,000 per year.)
Salary: $15,000 - $15,000
Date Modified: 1/31/2013
Job Category: Youth Pastor
Job Status: Part-Time
Denomination: Presbyterian -PCUSA
Worship Style: Blended